Leading Strategy

Aki Kumar Blues Band is The Blues, Reimagined--- Garam Gaana

Address3340 Mowry Ave, Fremont, CA 94538
HoursOpen today · 11AM–12AM

FIRST VISIT:   Last weekend I committed to getting out more, Opu and Sharly joined me for a night at The Smoking Pig,  a happy place for BBQ (Chicken if you don't eat Beef Ribs or Brisket or  Pulled Pork), with cornbread and collard greens,  soul food with a smokin side of Live Blues.   Service is awesome-- Arnold or Marcelle.  Check it on a Friday or Saturday... Oh I digress, this is not about BBQ

BACKSTORY:   So much going on, working so hard, I take a little time away from Visio's and IT to get back to my roots, get out and go dancing, hear live bands,  the fun stuff.  Music is that foundation.  Always has been from sitting around with my Dad, playing guitar and singing the songs of our history folk, rock, and blues.   When I go to a place and feel like, "WOW, I can't wait to bring the family here,  I know I have found a spot, and this is that spot.     Music is the backdrop of my life, it gives wings to the feelings of the heart-- of joy, of pain.  Few other musical genre's "does" for me what the blues does for one's heart and spirit.    

DEFINING BLUES MUSIC:  The Blues are a genre beginning in the Deep Southern United States.  A mix of spiritual, work songs, pain, shouts, chants, and "hollers" that narrated a  feeling more than a story, a depth of emotion, bigger, richer, and broader than "folk", unfolded in a three line "stanza" where the vocals and the simple strong musical back bone, convey the sentiments of love and life, and a damned hard time.  Strong people who have seen some stuff, and know how to transform pain into beauty.   


  • Some Examples of the best classic blues singers I love:   Odetta, Muddy Waters, BB King, Etta James, Howlin Wolf, Billie Holliday,  Mississippi John Hurt,  Buddy Guy, Robert Cray. 
  • Modern Examples of Blues Singers I love include: Keb Mo,  Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, John Mayall, John Lee Hooker   
My Name is "Khan",  Dawn C Khan- born of a Fine Artist and Musician in the Midwest, listening to the music, viewing, and reading the arts and music of our nation and our world.    I am a modern "west' met "east" and fell in love with an Asian and his culture, while continuing doing "me", a connected IT Professional, Mom of 2 talented young artists.  I love music...   The BackStory is I was working hard and wanted to hear something that reminded me of simpler times...  I was talking to my buddy Scott last night when I saw that the Smoking Pig DID have a live band, Aki Kumar, there and it was a Blues Band--- HUH????  No time for that now, if I left THAT MINUTE, I would catch the first set at the Smoking Pig.    And as if just for me,  I got there just in time to hear a Muddy Waters AND BB King set!!  OHHHH my soul smiles.... for this.  





THIS IS THE BLUES LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD IT!!  The Blues, Reimagined, when Aki Kumar Blues Band lights up the stage!!  Akarsha Kumar was an IT Professional with a serious traditional love of music,  I think this is why the performance hit home for me.   Music that is worth hearing, is ageless and timeless expression.  It takes you somewhere, better than you were..   So when Aki Kumar, boldly takes the stage, his harp moans and you feel the pains of life, and turns it around with the solid vocals that lift you up out of the blues and takes you somewhere else.  BB King, Muddy Waters, and all of the classics,  served perfectly with a performance that makes you GLAD to be a part of it.  



A traditional Blues Artist. 

But here is where "east" meets "west" and creates something entirely new.. Spicy Hot Blues (Garam Masala), is not your Daddy's wailing blues.  He can perform the Chicago or Delta Blues, with a style unparallelled, or he can transform a Bombay Bollywood style number into something out of this world mix.   All the traditional sounds of western blues, with a solid backbeat, singing harmonica, and strings, but with the mix of tabla, wind, and asian sounds.. Mix the music, some east with West in "My Home Is a Prison", some uptempo modernized Bollywood with Eena Meena Deeka.. You haven't heard Hindi with this kinda heat!!!  

I could TELL you how good it is.. But if you know me, and know MY love of music, stop everything.. Go BUY the CD NOW!!   Its feel good Bollywood goes Blues in a direction soooooo inspired.   All the songs are great, here is one teaser.. Eeena Meeka Deeka   



FREE MP3 with mailing list signup!

Sign up and receive a free MP3
~ Eena Meena Deeka ~
from his latest album Aki Goes To Bollywood!






Dawn C Khan  :   linkedin  | twitter   |  instagram  |  




Post a Comment

0 Comments